Form 1040NR – Nonresident Alien Individual

What you Should Know About Form 1040NR – Nonresident Alien Individual

  • According to the U.S Internal Revenue Code, foreign investors in the U.S (who are neither citizens nor green card holders) must file tax returns at both federal and the relevant state level as long as they have an active investment in the U.S in that tax year (whether there were profits, losses or zero income).
    The tax return is filed using the IRS Form 1040NR, and it must be filed by June 15th.
  • One can file for an extension by the above date, and extend the due date to October 15th.
  • Foreign investors waiting for their Schedule K1 from the U.S should know that K1s are occasionally delayed for professional reasons such as closing the books and reports, company audits in the U.S, etc.
    Therefore one must file for an extension to file the tax returns both for the company and the individual.
  • If this date falls on a Federal U.S holiday or the weekend, this date is postponed to the following day.

What’s the next step?

  • If you are required to file this form, we recommend that you contact our firm towards December 15th, before the tax year ends, to enable us to prepare ourselves well for the current tax year.
  • Since it often takes a while to receive all the necessary materials from the U.S, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible so that we could file for an extension on your behalf and avoid fines and interest on arrears.
  • Furthermore, we recommend filing the U.S. report as soon as possible, especially if there are tax returns, which are most often due to the foreign individual’s withholding tax in the United States. This process takes time and we therefore advise that you start it as soon as possible.
  • Our firm works according to the order it receives materials, and so we recommend contacting us earlier rather than later.
  • Contact us today to receive a letter of engagement and a list of the materials we require to file your taxes.

An example of a Form 1040NR

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us

03-696-5060 Please fill in details and a representative will contact you soon or call

    Read more about our office services

    אזרחים אמריקאים

    U.S Citizens Living Abroad

    Read »
    אהרונוף רואה חשבון אמריקאי IRS דיווח ארהב מיסים ארהב קורונה

    COVID-19 in the U.S and its Effect of Taxes, Filings and Grants | Aharonof U.S Tax Advisory

    Read »
    יועץ מס אמריקאי

    A U.S Enrolled Agent or U.S CPA, Who Should You Choose When It Comes to the IRS?

    Read »